Latar Belakang PDK Selayang

PDK Selayang (Pusat Pemulihan Dalam Komuniti Selayang) telah ditubuhkan pada 1hb Sept 1991, oleh sekumpulan ibubapa kepada kanak-kanak kurang upaya (pada masa tersebut dipanggil sebagai kanak-kanak istimewa) yang anak-anak mereka telah dikeluarkan dari pembelajaran wajib di sekolah-sekolah aliran perdana di Selayang, dengan alasan mereka (OKU tersebut) "tidak boleh belajar". Alasan sebenar Guru Besar sekolah-sekolah tersebut ialah mereka takut graf pencapaian sekolah akan menurun.

Bermula dengan 15 orang kanak-kanak kurang upaya kelas diadakan sekali seminggu pada setiap hari Sabtu dari jam 8:30 pagi hingga 1:00 tengahari, dengan dilatih oleh seorang Petugas PDK (panggilan Cikgu PDK pada masa tersebut) iaitu Puan Noraini Othman.

Hari ini PDK Selayang telah berkembang pesat dengan jumlah pelatih OKU PDK seramai 102 orang melalui beberapa program iaitu Kelas Harian EIP, Kelas Harian LPV, Kelas Harian Pemulihan Perubatan (Pemulihan Anggota, Pemulihan Pertuturan dan Pemulihan Carakerja), Lawatan ke Rumah dan Program Rumah Kelompok (lelaki).

Kumpulan Sasar Utama: OKU (Orang Kurang Upaya)

Kumpulan Sasar Tambahan: Anak-Anak Yatim, Kanak-Kanak Kurang Bernasib Baik, Ibu Tunggal/Ibu Tinggal, Warga Emas dan Keluarga Miskin (dari lingkungan kumpulan sasar utama)

Kelas Harian EIP: 5 hari/minggu; Isnin-Jumaat; 8:30am-12:30pm.

Kelas Harian LPV (Latihan Pemulihan Vokasional): 5 hari/minggu; Isnin-Jumaat; 9:00am- 5:00pm.

Kelas harian Pemulihan Perubatan pula dijalankan seperti berikut:

Pemulihan Anggota: 5 hari/minggu; 8:30-11:30am; untuk OKU dari keluarga miskin dan berpendapatan rendah. Sabtu & Ahad pula dikhaskan kepada OKU yang keluarganya mampu bayar penuh kos pakar (OKU dari keluarga kaya).

Pemulihan Pertuturan: 3 hari/minggu 8:30am- 12:00pm; untuk OKU dari keluarga berpendapan rendah dan miskin dan hari 2 hari dalam seminggu dikhaskan untuk OKU dari keluarga kaya yang mampu membayar kos pakar.

Pemulihan Carakerja: 4 hari/minggu; Isnin-Jumaat kecuali Khamis; 8:30-11:30am; untuk pelatih kanak-kanak; 2:30-4:00pm untuk pelatih remaja PDK.

Program Lawatan ke Rumah: 2 kali/minggu; Selasa (2:00-4:00 petang) dan Sabtu (9:30am-12:30pm).

Program Rumah Kelompok (Lelaki): menempatkan seramai 4 OKU yang telah bekerja.

PDK Selayang yang ditadbir-urus oleh satu Jawatankuasa yang dilantik oleh ibubapa/penjaga OKU.

PDK Selayang dipengerusikan oleh Y. Bhg. Dato' Prof. Ir. Dr Haji Azhari Md Salleh, dengan kekuatan Jawatankuasa seramai 13 orang.

Seramai 15 kakitangan berkhidmat di PDK Selayang yang diketuai oleh Penyelia PDK iaitu Puan Noraini Othman, 8 orang Petugas PDK, 3 orang Pakar Pemulihan Perubatan, 1 orang Pemandu dan 3 orang Pembantu. 3 orang kakitangan PDK Selayang adalah dari kalangan OKU.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Batu Arang Settlement : The History

Brief history on Batu Arang


Coal was first found in Batu Arang in the early 1900s and a study in 1910 revealed that mining was commercially viable.
Batu Arang, is in Gombak District
In June 1913, a British coal miner, John Archibald Russell, formed the Malayan Collieries Ltd to start mining operations in Batu Arang.

In the 1930s, only the Batu Arang mine was still operational and offered jobs to residents.
Because of the high demand of coal, the mining activities were operating round the clock employing 5,000 miners in three shifts.
Batu Arang Town (older parts)

Other part of Batu Arang
In the early years, Batu Arang became the the most developed town in Selangor and was known to local residents as Mini Gold Hill.

The mining operations ended in 1960.

Hundreds of mining tunnel's underneath of Batu Arang area
About 15 million tonnes of coal was mined over 47 years raking in RM163mil in the 1960s.
In the 1930’s, the monthly wage of a miner was RM0.35. They could buy a house in the area for RM4.

The developing town even had an airstrip, a railway line, gurkha’s police base, police station and a brick factory.
The historical of air well in Batu Arang
There were also houses for the miners, British officers and bungalows for the mine managers.
Another air wells
Today, the airstrip and railway line are only just memories in pictures.

However, the air wells of the mines could be still seen covered in undergrowth.
Batu Arang’s famous landmark, a brick-making factory that ceased operations years ago.
One of the famous air well in Batu Arang

The air well was dug to a depth of 330m and there are hundreds of tunnels underground stretching the entire town of Batu Arang.

And this is why there are no five-storey buildings in the town or development that requires piling work.
Puan Jamilah Awang, Batu Arang CBR Supervisor
(CBR-Community-Based  Rehabilitation) rehabilitation, training and
learning center for disabled kids and young adults
The character of Batu Arang town, 50km away from Kuala Lumpur, still remains very much the same as it was several decades ago despite rapid development taking place in the city and its surrounding areas.

The red-brick shoplots and wooden houses are still standing steadily.
Thang See Ong says the town’s coal fuelled trains and ships
Richard Thang See Ong one Batu Arang's resident
These structures, including a Post Office, can be seen near the famous roundabout (Bulatan Utama) that was built in the 1920s.

Even the school building of Chap Kuan Chinese School, built in 1949 is still standing though its paint is cracked and dried.

One can reminisce the colonial era by visiting the famous “White House” built in the 1930s. It was used as the British Army officers’s mess.

Even the Batu Arang Police station, which was once the Malayan Colliers Limited management office, still remains.

Batu Arang, as history reminds us, was once a bustling town known for its coal mining activities.

It exported coal worldwide rivalling Newcastle in Australia, which is currently the largets exporter of coal in the world. Even to this very day, coal is still found in Batu Arang but there are no mining activities taking place.

Apart from coal, Batu Arang was also known for brick manufacturing. Today, it no longer supplies coal and holds no significant role.
Goat farm in Batu Arang
During the height of the coal mining activities, the miners were working three shifts a day — 24 hours. At that time it was estimated that there were 5,000 miners.
 
The nostalgic effect still lingers on the mind of the writer remembering the old days when most human traffice seen was miners going to work while in the opposite direction miners returned from their shift duties.

Although the mines stopped operations in 1960, the remnants of old historical buildings can be seen throughout the town.

Even more astonishing is the businesses and people who are here going about doing their daily chores.

Today, the old ventilation tunnels offer a glimpse of the old abandoned mines, but few are brave enough to venture into the darkness.
Batu Arang Town from afar.
Picturesque lakes dot the town, but these were huge open cast mines which have filled with water over the years. Batu Arang is styill an idyllic town. People still move about on bicycles.

Bicycle shops, coffeeshops, fruit stalls, market, food stalls and grocery shops are still the main features of the town.

The customers in the Chinese coffeeshops are mainly senior citizens opting to have coffee, toast or Chinese tea — spending long hours chatting about the past and present.

The close relationship of the people in Batu Arang is also very pleasing. Most people living there seems to know each other.

The people even raise their hands — a sign to acknowledge friendship — as they cross path on bicycles, motorbikes or cars.

Some of the coal miners who used to work at the coal mine have passed on, leaving the second and third generation to carry on businesses and other activities taking place there.

There are some who work on their land doing farming activities while others continue the business tradition passed on from their ancestors.

With a mixed population comprising mainly Chinese, Indians and Malays living together in harmony, Batu Arang can easily pass off as a good example of the 1Malaysia concept.

The slow pace of things here shows that the people, culture and history of this town should be appreciated and passed on to generations to come.

No comments: